DIY Carpet Cleaner/Deodorizer

non-toxic cleaning products

In an attempt to reduce the toxins in my home, I started making a few natural, toxic-free cleaning products. I have pets, and the last thing I want them walking around on is something toxic. I used to use a carpet deodorizer from Arm & Hammer that was made specifically for pets. Every time I used it, I noticed that my allergies would flare up. I also noticed how strong the fragrance of the product was and how long that smell lingered. I decided to do some label reading and was once again surprised at what I read (this seems to be a theme lately).

The Environmental Working Group gave this product a “C” rating. The rating was mainly due to the added fragrance. The “fragrance” is linked to skin irritation, allergies, aquatic toxicity, and respiratory effects. That explains my allergy flare-up!

I promptly stopped using this product and looked up a natural alternative. To my surprise, I had all of the ingredients on hand. It is so simple! This also works great to freshen up the houses even if you don’t have pets. See below for the directions.

DIY Carpet Deodorizer

Ingredients

• 2 cups of baking soda
  • 20 drops of essential oil (I chose the Citrus Fresh from Young Living)
  • A glass jar
  1. Put the 2 cups of baking soda into a jar (preferably one with a lid that has holes so it will sprinkle on the carpet)
  2. Add the 20 drops of essential oil.
  3. Shake it up to mix and it is ready to use!

Next time you vacuum, sprinkle it on the carpet 5-15 minutes before hand and then vacuum up! It gets all those odors out and makes the house smell nice without the toxic chemicals.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

9 Comments Add yours

1. Kathy Wire says:

What an efficient way to “diffuse” oils, too! Love it.

Liked by 1 person

1. CristinaMB says:

Thank you Kathy! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Chris says:

I love your posts. About two years ago I started on a very similar journey to reduce toxins in our home and self care products. I have a few really nice recipes i plan to share. I can link them to your essential oil business if they are the same ones I am using.

Liked by 2 people

1. CristinaMB says:

That’s great!! I can’t wait to read your recipes! That would be wonderful to link them!❤️ Thank you so much!

Liked by 1 person

1. Chris says:

You’re very welcome. It’s nice to help where possible. 🤗

Liked by 1 person

2. CristinaMB says:

You’re so sweet! Thank you!

Liked by 1 person

3. Chris says:

I have looked for a direct link to your Young Living Business site but can’t find it. Can you provide the link here?

3. Shell Vera says:

Citrus Fresh is great!! I’ll have to try this DIY with my daughter!

Liked by 2 people

1. CristinaMB says:

Yes, it smells so good! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! ❤️

Liked by 1 person