Is the Word “Self-Care” Over-used and Under-Appreciated?

self care ideas
Photo by Gabriela Guerino on Pexels.com

Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest are full of people talking about #selfcaresaturday or #selfcaresunday all while drinking cocktails and partying. I feel the word “self-care” is thrown around so much lately, that it has almost lost its true meaning. Do people really know the true meaning of the word “self-care” and how important it can be?

Taking the time to destress and do something for yourself is very hard for some people; me included. I tend to be the caretaker; always worried if everyone else is happy and comfortable. After being this way all of my life, I was reminded recently of how I forget to take some “me” time. I struggle from anxiety and I noticed that when I neglect myself, the anxiety and stress gets overwhelming.

There are 5 different “pillars”, or types of self-care. These include emotional, spiritual, mental, physical, and environmental. To be honest, up until recently, I rarely allowed time for myself. Sometimes, we just need to recharge. Depending on the day, we may need different types of self-care. For example, if I am feeling very overwhelmed, I noticed that just 5 minutes of meditation, diffusing lavender or frankincense essential oils, and deep breathing really makes a difference. Some days taking a walk in nature will work better for me. Below I’ll highlight the different types of self-care that you can practice.

Emotional:

• Yoga
  • Get a facial
  • Get your nails done

Environmental:

• Light a candle
  • Diffuse essential oils
  • Listen to relaxing music and/or sounds
  • De-clutter your home/space
Photo by Daria Shevtsova on Pexels.com

I hope this serves as a reminder that we are entitled to our “me” time. My hope is that you will try out some of these ideas with me. Thank you for reading!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

12 Comments Add yours

1. This is a great reminder! I like all the ideas you listed. It can be so hard to make time for them sometimes, but it is so important to recharge! Thanks for sharing ❤️

PS – I made your lavender lemon spray and it smells amazing!

Liked by 2 people

1. CristinaMB says:

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment! 🙂

Aww, I’m so happy you liked it!!

2. Kathy Wire says:

Great ideas! Saving this post.

Liked by 1 person

1. CristinaMB says:

Thank you! And thank you for reading!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathy Wire says:

I don’t know if you follow Wardee Harmon. She is another natural health lover; she mostly does cooking Traditional Cooking School), but is also into makeup.
        I don’t do makeup, and I don’t know if you do, but thought you might be interested in this opportunity (I believe it’s free): https://traditionalcookingschool.com/lp/beautycounter-20191130-party/

Liked by 1 person

2. CristinaMB says:

Thank you! I will check her out! 😊

Liked by 1 person

3. hani smaik says:

Christina,

Much appreciated for the post. I genuinely like following what you write, and I think you had just written it, you are a loving caring person, and this is one of the things that make us find a connection or familiarity. I also think caring is the impulse behind the writing. We are energy manifested in a complex form. I’ve detected energy once noted a few things in common: your name that starts with Christ which represents my key research or interest as I will try to explain. There’s a relation between Christ as a religious symbolism, Christ as in a moon phase, and Christ as a sacred anointing which is actually found in our bodies, and crystals which actually represent salts reconstructing itself into an organised reserve of energy making the core of our bones and the tree’s structure or skeleton, such as roots stems and leafs . You also happen to favor lavender and lemon which remains two key ingredients in both improving our mental and bodily vigor. And today, in your recent article you mentioned frankincense, which also has novel characteristics empowering our (spirit) or our kind hearts mainly. Hence “I wish you joy and happiness but above all this, I wish you love! My paragraph scored (74) only on Grammarly! Even though, there’s more energy between the lines.

Liked by 1 person

1. CristinaMB says:

Thank you so much! You are so kind and I am so happy you enjoy my posts!

4. Chris says:

Great points and so glad you pointed out and listed great ideas for healthy self-care.

Liked by 1 person

1. CristinaMB says:

Thank you so much! We forget how important it is!

Liked by 1 person

5. Shell Vera says:

I’d love to see more on how setting positive boundaries and saying no are part of self-care too. It’s so important not just to take time out for yourself but to ensure you live a life that encourages you to say yes to what matters and no to what isn’t a priority when there are tasks competing for your attention. Thanks for sharing this.

Liked by 2 people

1. CristinaMB says:

Yes! You’re so right! Setting positive boundaries and saying no can be very hard to do too! Thank you for commenting and bringing that to light!

Liked by 1 person